Google has just published a SEO Audit (Search Engine Optimization) which analyzes 100 Google product pages, and the results are not as good as expected... it seems Google is not so good at optimizing their own websites (at least, not like seo pros).
Title tags: "html <title>" is one of the most important part of a webpage SEO, well, only 10% of their product pages actually follow "SEO Best practices". Indeed, most of their pages contain only the product name without any keywords or relevant tagline.
About meta-description tags, 67% of them are missing. That's why some of Google products appear on search engine result pages (SERP) without any relevant information or keywords.
To be efficient on search engines result pages, it is necessary to use the right keywords on title tags and put relevant content on meta-descriptions. Without these elements, it's difficult to understand what is the aim of your pages, and in this case, what is the Google Sky service all about? ;o)
About headings, Google say that 43% of their "<h1>" tags need improvement. h1 tags are important for SEO and usability because they state what a page is about. Many Google pages use "<h3>" or custom font styling tags instead of "<h1>" !
Google's SEO audit also points out some issues in their permanent redirections and most of them are linked to the trailing slash. Indeed, some of their product pages are accessible through "www.google.com/PRODUCT1" and some others with "www.google.com/PRODUCT1/" without redirecting. So when those 2 URL are crawled by search engines, that content is indexed twice creating a duplicate content issue.
The audit from Google shows that 39% of their logo images don’t link to appropriate URLs, furthermore, some of them link to nonexistent URLs (404 error pages!). Additionally, 18% of Google’s products logos don’t have an "alternative text" tag, which is required by the W3C coding standards.
Google likes SEO now !
Google seems to be more and more interested in optimizing their own products so we guess that they will fix these mistakes very soon. However, optimizing the "on page factors" (the text and content on your web pages) is not enough.
If Google decides to follow our SEO practices, they could rank on the first position for queries like "search engines" on Google.com...
That’s why I invite Google engineers and everyone who is interested in SEO to subscribe to our RSS feed and to follow our blog.
Follow that link to download the Google SEO Audit
Amazon China seo audit example.
Of course, I am not going to teach amazon how to succeed online. Their success story is famous, and the kindle is just one more proof that they can still grow and do good online.
But it doesn’t mean that all they do is right, and yes, an SEO audit would definitely help them grow their targeted traffic, and thus their turn-over, online.
So, I checked their website, and here’s what I found :
1) Amazon.cn has no RSS or Atom feed! Actually many website’s would bring them backlinks just by reading their feeds and posting links. And search engines rank higher website with RSS feeds. By the way if you want to subscribe to this blog, our feed is here.
2) On many pages, their meta keywords are just too general, like “DVD” or “MP3”!
3) They should use meta keywords and description on every page, not only some of them (http://www.amazon.cn/static/lll_081223_newyear.asp/479-6678015-2391038?u... )
4) They have up to 52 images on their pages, which is TOO much, but that is not the worst thing, many of them don’t have “alt” attribute, which means that search engines just don’t know what they are all about. (alt attribute help blinds and search engines understand what the image is about)
5) Proper image naming : the names of these images is also important, so please don’t name them like (lt_pcee803805.jpg when the image is actually Microsoft office) http://images.amazon.cn/l/lt_pcee803805.jpg . If you want clients to find your products, make search engines understand where and what they are all about.
6) 3044 errors and 1915 warnings for the coding! Well, the least we can say is that they really really don’t follow the coding standards for html… they should work on that to improve their rankings.
7) There is no sitemap for the website… they should add one
8) Too many links. It’s commonly said not to go over 100 links in your home page, which is already too much. But here we have … Found 399 urls of which 369 are unique. 399 links, that is way too much.
9) No url rewriting. And among these 399, none has a proper naming with keywords in urls! That is insane. They are losing web traffic (and money) right now!
10) Please amazon china, avoid having broken links in general, and on the home page in particular. For example: try to click on the EC trust china at the bottom of amazon china home page… the link is broken, that doesn’t help me trust them ;o)
Well, I am not going further, I am not doing keywords research analysis, and no competition analysis, no rankings analysis either. I would need 5 days to do a complete SEO Audit.
I know nobody is perfect, not even our website, but that leaves room for improvment.
I wrote this article to give you some seo tips, and to show you why it’s worth having an SEO Audit or a website audit. I think amazon china should definitely contact us and buy THEM seo services. feel free to contact us here