A few months ago, Aaron Wall from SEOBook made a survey about the behavior and the knowledge of the US internet users toward the search engine and especially toward Google.
Among the various topics he analyzed, you find out how people choose their search engine, how many they use, what they do if they don’t find satisfying results, what they think of Google and what they know about SEO and Internet.
Usage of Search Engine
Here’s the first surprise: even though it’s quite logical that the users choose the most relevant search engine, it appears that women are more likely to use the default. The younger (18-24) are also easier to influence with advertising.
This is a very important if you’re advertising a very precise group of people depending on their age and gender. But you should not forget that almost half of them use more than one search engine.
User Behavior on the Search Engine
What if they don’t find what they were looking for on the first page? Apparently, 56% of them would make a new search request and the rest would go on the second page. The split is fairly consistent among men and women. But if your website is SEO-friendly, there is no way it can happen, right? Else… you know what to do!
Apparently, the fact that Google promotes preferentially its own listings on its SERPs is not appreciated by its users as 3 in 4 people believe that a search engine is supposed to be objective.
What about the paid results?
65% thinks it’s often disappointing. However more than half of the 25-34 people think it’s ok as long as they’re relevant. Once again, you should know who you’re targeting.
And Google+ influenced results?
It must be very hard for Google since 65% haven’t noticed the difference. The others either think it’s better or worse. Don’t worry, Google is investing a lot of money to improve its social network that now have more than 110 millions of users. If you haven't started your Google+ page, see why you should start being active on Google+.
How aware are the consumer of common SEO/SEM term
They were asked about 5 words and the result is... *drum roll* : Pay Per Click wins!
It does mean something very important: They would think more of SEM than SEO. So if they were to communicate about it on the internet, they’d prefer Adwords. This also means that Google and the other Search Engine did great marketing their Paid results and this can only benefit them!
Don’t forget :
It is an American survey so don’t try to use it on any other markets, that could be lethal for your company: I’m obviously thinking about China which is a very different country for search engine since Chinese Internet users mainly search on Baidu as shown in our infographic about Internet in China.
Google+, the search company's social network, recently revealed "Google+ Pages" for Business. Brands, companies, and celebrities which have been waiting for this new feature since last June can now register on Google+.
With more than 40 million users, Google+ is doomed to play a key role in Social Media Optimization (often abbreviated as SMO) and Social Media Marketing (SMM), as other social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, and Renren in China.
What is a Google+ page?
Google+ pages allow brands, companies, institutions, NGOs and celebrities to be present on the search giant's social network. They are similar to standard individual pages that users can follow and add to their circles.
Below is the official video introducing Google+ Pages:
Google+ pages can be recommended through the search engine "+1" button, and use chat and video conference features. A logo enables users to differentiate a business page from an user account. For the time being, you cannot create a username for your page.
Several companies already created a Google+ page, such as the brands below:
10 reasons to start a Google+ Business page
There are several reasons why you should start your Google+ Page:
- Branding: Promote your brand, explain what your company does, and present the products and services you offer.
- Broadcasting: Use your Google+ Page to announce your company news and events, and share useful information with your fans.
- Customer relationship: A Google+ Business Page enables you to get closer to your customers. You can get to know your followers, and interact with them!
- Traffic: Drive more traffic to your company website. Social networks now represent a considerable source of traffic for your website.
- Privacy: A business page cannot add an individual to its circles unless the user previously added the company in his circles. You can also customize your message to your audience, choose who should receive your update among your circles: everyone, your customers, your coworkers, or any members of a group you created.
- Market: 40+ million users you can have access to. This is far less than 800 million Facebook users, but I'm sure this number will continue to increase dramatically in the months to come.
- Blog: If you have a company blog, you can now promote your blog posts in your Google+ page.
- SEO: Creating a Google+ page is a key step to boost your SEO. As for Google +1 buttons, having your Google Page followed and shared by many users will enable your website to achieve high rankings in the search engines results pages.
- Connect: Business pages will be indexed and ranked very well by Google. The search engine will automatically redirect the user to the company Google+ page when the user enters "+" before the company name (for example +Google). This feature will be available to certain brands in the US only. Below is a video introducing Google Connect:
- Cost: It's free!
Does THEM have a Google+ page?
Yes, you can add our SEO & Web Design Google+ Page to your circles (click on the image below to add us to your circles).
How can I create a Google+ page?
If you want to open a Google+ page for your business, you can do it here: http://www.google.com/+/business/.